stinging nettle garden

If you want to grow some, these seed heads will provide hundreds of seeds. A guy called Allan Brown has made some good videos on the subject. Huge collection, amazing choice, 100+ million high quality, affordable RF and RM images. I just could not understand why anyone wanted this plant around. The leaves are rich in vitamins, minerals, amino acids (the building blocks of protein), and powerful antioxidants, including polyphenols and carotenoids (via Eat This Not That). I am now a complete convert. This valuable plant also has long been part of culinary and medicinal practices. Glad you liked the bailing twine, Raine . ", Was this helpful? Many nettle patches hold overwintering insects which swarm around fresh spring nettles and provide early food for ladybirds. Or not more super-human than we are already being.). It can grow in full sun to partial shade and will tolerate soil with a wide pH range, anywhere from 5.0 to 8.0. You may have had the misfortune of experiencing the unpleasant sensation of accidentally brushing up against a plant, or pulling one up without gloves. If there is anything to that theory, then nettle must be among the most useful of them all. Although this particular recipe calls for store-bought nettle tea bags, I substitute those with a handful of fresh leaves from my own garden, or a smaller quantity of home-dried leaves. Stinging nettle generally grows on deep, rich, moist soil and doesn't do well in areas of drought. It also has smooth margins on the leaves, and a reddish stem. The login page will open in a new tab. Depending on your climate, you may have nettles available year-round (remember not to eat/drink the leaves while its flowering/seeding) or every spring. Once plants flower and start to look woody and fibrous, leaves become stringy and tough. Controlling stinging nettle can be a lesson in futility, as the plant is not only a prolific grower, but also springs from underground rhizomes and is easily propagated via wind-dispersed seeds. I’ve decided to stop cutting a section of my nettle patch to allow it to flower and seed so I can have my first go at harvesting nettle seeds. They spread easily, sending long exploratory runners surprising distances under or between things and popping up where you least expect them. Yes, that piece of baling twine is still there. harvesting and using stinging nettle roots here, You can find more tips on freezing herbs here, 9 Reasons Why Tulip Leaves May Turn Yellow Prematurely, When and How to Harvest Cantaloupe, the Sweetest Garden Candy, How to Identify and Prevent Crown Gall on Apple, Grow Mexican Petunias (Ruellia Simplex) for a Heat and Shade Tolerant Perennial, How to Train Pumpkins to Grow on a Trellis. Nettles are a perennial plant found in the United States, Canada, Europe, Asia, Africa and South America. Find the perfect stinging nettles garden stock photo. This will return nutrients to the soil, and the added mulch layer will help retain moisture in the spring. Many nettle patches hold overwintering insects which swarm around fresh spring nettles and provide early food for ladybirds. Seeds are very tiny and require light for germination. To harvest, cut back the top third of the plant, just above a node where leaves branch off, which will encourage new growth. Site built by Kate Martignier using Thrive Themes and WordPress. And so I started learning. Identification of Stinging Nettle. These are hearty perennials with a tendency to become invasive, so choose wisely. Stinging nettle, Indian nettle, bergamot, gold balm, bee balm or – based on the botanical name – monard: The species of the genus Monarda carry many different names. Drinking it reminds me of sitting in a peaceful forest. But unlike stinging nettle, pellitory does not have stinging properties, despite having hairs on the leaves and stems. They are a delicious leafy herb, the tender young tops can be steamed and eaten like spinach or used to make a delicious soup. You get the idea. I have found 3 separate patches of stinging nettle on our property and for the past month or so, have been harvesting the tops to eat. Be conscious about what you are doing. In fact, it might just be my favorite herb yet! Infused tinctures can be stored in a cool, dark place for three to five years. Stinging nettle is a multifaceted companion plant and has a very special place within a cannabis garden. Stinging nettle sounds like something you'd run from, not a vibrant green herb that improves blood sugar metabolism, prevents weight gain, and reduces pain. The study concluded that the extract may decrease cardiovascular risk factors and other complications in patients with type 2 diabetes. When I first started gardening, I absolutely hated stinging nettle. Take it from someone who is very familiar with both smells.). They spread from seed and from the roots so to control nettles you need to attack on both fronts. Once you’ve harvested the greens, you can use them as you would any leafy green. They have also appeared singly in my upper flowerbeds, which are near the nettle patches so I assume they seeded from them. Though it grows abundantly as a weed, stinging nettle is also sometimes cultivated as a food plant. Stinging Nettle Benefits – Butterflies & Edible in, nourishing herbal infusions; you can learn quickly online, here, it’s a resource that otherwise goes to landfill, it feeds my soil (appropriately balanced with other nitrogenous inputs I use) as it breaks down, running weeds such as couch grass and nettle runners are much easier to pull out when they’re running under or over cardboard than over uncovered soil, since they’re loosely rooted if you catch them early enough. Nettle is usually found in waste areas of gardens, coastal cliffs and under trees. You can find more tips on freezing herbs here. The action of disturbing the hairs breaks off the fragile silica tips, and the hair acts like a needle, injecting you with chemicals. Perhaps this is why they were given the Latin name dioica, which means “two houses.”. You can also cut off the flowering seed heads when they form, which will encourage a better crop next year, as less energy will be diverted to seed production. I routinely add it to my compost piles in the spring to heat the pile up after a … You can also turn nettles into a liquid fertilizer by filling a barrel with the leaves and branches. Since the stalks of the stinging nettle are quite bare in the lower area, it is advisable to place lo… Product photos via: Crossing Press and Storey Publishing Uncredited photos: Shutterstock. Or, why not find them in the woods? The root and above ground parts are used as medicine. Far too late for gathering leaves for food, but if you find some like this make note of the location, as there will be lots for picking next spring. Males have a stringier, compact cluster of flowers that tend to point outward. This may also help to reduce spreading if you are concerned about the patch getting away from you. So, despite its uncomfortable effect on unsuspecting skin, it's a … As young plants, the leaves are eaten in salads, boiled as a vegetable or steeped to make a medicinal tea. The flavor is sweet and salty, with a pleasant, earthy taste. We occasionally link to goods offered by vendors to help the reader find relevant products. It’s a relative of mint plants, so it shares the same invasive quality. Stinging nettles support more than 40 kinds of insects, for whom the sting can form a protective shield against grazing animals. Posted by jerseyridgearts (SW Louisiana - Zone 9a) on Apr 13, 2015 5:58 PM. Keep the soil moist throughout the spring until you are done harvesting, after which time the plants will usually take care of themselves. This is why I decided I wanted a larger patch of it, and why I put it where it could spread into a pathway: to remind me to harvest it often and use it well. Stinging nettles are growing very well around my garden. The drying time can vary depending on your location and the relative humidity, and it could take anywhere from one to a few weeks. If a spot is too dry, plants may struggle and will lack flavor, and may potentially lack some of their potency as an herbal remedy. That’s fascinating about eating nettles and not needing deodorant any more. It was introduced in the 1800s, probably as a source of medicine, food, and material. (“Mum, what’s these green dots?!”). Some of these links may be affiliate in nature, meaning we earn small commissions if items are purchased. To use it, strain, dilute 1 part fertilizer to 10 parts water for the soil around your plants, or 1 part fertilizer to up to 20 parts water if using it on the leaves. Fibers can be dried, pounded, and twisted into rope or cloth. They can be used to make a fresh nettle soup, added to stews, used in baking, or simply sauteed in a little butter and garlic as a side dish. Now I feel confident I can care for mine! After removing stalks, leave them to decompose on the ground around plants. Here’s how – and why – you should grow it at home. The leaves, stems, and roots have been used for food, medicine, cordage, and dye for millennia. Another use for nettle! She is also a fanatical gardener, and enjoys spending as much time covered in dirt as possible! There’s also a Facebook page called Nettles for textiles. Here is more about what we do. The vibrant, dark emerald green hue of the nettle plant signals that it is rich in chlorophyll, and therefore, the plant is excellent for the body’s integumentary system ( s kin, nails, and hair), as well as the cardiovascular, urinary, lymph, and respiratory systems. Always consult with a medical professional before changing your diet or using plant-based remedies or supplements for health and wellness. If I miss the message for too much longer, someone is going to get stung, to remind me. A very hearty plant, this herb will do well in a variety of climates and conditions. The leaves can be preserved and consumed in a number of ways. Urtica dioica, often known as common nettle, stinging nettle (although not all plants of this species sting) or nettle leaf, or just a nettle or stinger, is a herbaceous perennial flowering plant in the family Urticaceae.Originally native to Europe, much of temperate Asia and western North Africa, it is now found worldwide, including New Zealand and North America. Photo by Joni Blackburn. This will help you avoid using harmful chemical products while not losing in efficiency! Stinging nettle is a weed with a variety of beneficial uses, from a food source to a medicinal treatment to nettle garden fertilizer. Stinging nettles die down to tough yellow roots in autumn, over-wintering to grow up again the following spring. Read on, and I'll tell you a number of reasons why. I just needed to know why my landlord insisted so strongly on maintaining that pesky nettle patch. Or I drop them into soups. The above-ground parts are used for allergies, hayfever, and osteoarthritis. Weigh them down with a stone and fill it up with water. Nettle is an erect annual weed that grows up to 60cm tall, with short stinging bristles on the stems and leaves. This is why I decided I wanted a larger patch of it, and why I put it where it could spread​ into a pathway: to remind me to harvest it often and use it well. I have dried them in the Excalibur before too, and then crumbled them for use in soups and stews and such. The ideal time for the harvest lies between May and July, as long as the plants are not yet blooming. Caution: Nettle can be harvested for eating any time except when it's flowering or seeding. Squeeze to drain as much moisture as possible, chop, and place in freezer bags or containers. If this article hasn’t quite won you over yet, I encourage you to taste some nettle tea for yourself. I didn’t grow up eating much okra myself, but I have grown to love it as an adult, especially in Indian subzi recipes. It actually smells more like cow dung than cow dung does. So those are some ways to use nettle in the kitchen; what about the garden? They are edible and a rich source of vitamins A and C plus iron, potassium, manganese, and calcium. Discover fermented stinging nettle tea, an excellent fertilizer for plants in both gardens and vegetable patches, and an amazing pest control agent for most parasites like aphids. In some parts of the US, stinging nettle is considered an invasive weed due to its ability to self-seed and spread through its root mass. Stinging nettle is used for diabetes and osteoarthritis. But practice is what makes this journey remarkable, so here is a first and easy way to use your knowledge on The Stinging Nettle – the fire in the garden to make a traditional Romanian elixir called The Healing Fire or in Romanian: Focul Vindecator. Stinging nettle i n our garden Besides feeding us, our nettle patch also nourishes our garden and compost bins. Throw them in soups, pasta, stir fries, stews, or omelets. Hydrating Your Landscape: Which Irrigation Method Is Best for You and Your Plants? Urtica dioica (stinging nettle) in the Herb Garden. Gardener’s Path and Ask the Experts, LLC assume no liability for the use or misuse of the material presented above. Follow our tips on putting nettles to good use – but be sure to wear gloves at all times when handling them. Alternatively, if you do find a patch growing wild, you can gather the tiny seeds in early fall, once they have turned brown. This is why I decided I wanted a larger patch of it, and why I put it where it could spread into a pathway: to remind me to harvest it often and use it well. Harvesting nettles can sound intimidating, but with a few precautions in mind, you won’t get any trouble from the pesky needles. Do you have other nettle recipes or garden applications that you could share? Just remember not to put a fresh nettle leaf on the side of the plate to garnish your dish, or you may end up with a prickly surprise. Store the remaining nettle liquid in the garden … When we take the time to appreciate their value and learn to handle them with care, nettles are really an incredible herb with so much to offer us. Nettles don’t need much maintenance after harvest season, as they are very hardy and spread easily. Infused vinegar can impart a pleasant flavor when used in cooking. Just to remind me and you that its not necessary to be super-human. Besides feeding us, our nettle patch also nourishes our garden and compost bins. I highly recommend Groves’s book, which is available from Amazon, if you want to learn more about how to use common plants as herbal remedies. Do you have questions? I’ve tried making cordage from banana fiber before and I’d be keen to try with nettle fiber (there is so much to learn!) For a long time, I kept my stinging nettle in a tub out of the way of people because I didn't want it to sting anybody. Upon contact, the tiny needles pierce the skin and release chemicals including acetylcholine, formic acid, histamine, and serotonin, which trigger inflammation and pain that can unfortunately last for up to several hours. It comes from Europe. However, the Indian nettle (or Stinging nettle) is most widespread, because the species, which originates from North America, was used by the Indians as a medicinal plant long before its introduction as an ornamental plant. Transplant outdoors in early spring, as soon as the ground can be worked. Space seedlings about 8 inches apart. Stinging nettle (Urtica dioica) is a springtime, flowering plant that grows abundantly in North America and temperate regions in the Northern Hemisphere.. The first Stinging Nettle (Urtica dioica) I had came from a friend, who shared plants she originally got from a nursery. Stinging nettles do have some positive benefits. Their flavor has been described by TV Chef Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall as “irrefutably green,” somewhere between spinach, cabbage, and broccoli, with a unique hint of nettliness: a sort of slight, earthy tingle in your mouth.”. You can store the fresh leaves in the refrigerator for two to five days, just make sure they are kept in a closed container to prevent them from inadvertently stinging anyone! Stinging Nettle Urtica dioica Common nettle Stinging nettles are considered a weed by many gardeners but they have a lot to offer those who give them some space in their garden. I have a personal theory that the plants (“weeds”) that most persistently follow human beings about are those that have the most to offer us in terms of medicine, food, help in our gardens, and other useful things. (Don't keep it near the house. COPYRIGHT © 2020 ASK THE EXPERTS LLC. Stinging nettles support more than 40 kinds of insects, for whom the sting can form a protective shield against grazing animals. It's a perennial, winter-hardy … But for this you’ll need a big harvest – two pounds or more of fresh leaves, simmered in four cups of water with a tablespoon of non-iodized salt for 30 minutes. Keep your gloves on when you wash them, carefully removing any dirt or insects. And going to get stung, to make tea, or by with... Perennial, winter-hardy … stinging nettles permanently is to remove the sting can form a protective shield against grazing.... Healing potion for those suffering from depression, spring asthenia, hair loss, and.! To think of nettle as a general health tonic, compact cluster of flowers that tend point... Desirable, if weedy, herb ideal time for the harvest lies between and! Is harvesting from it edible green and white liquid can be identified by,..., hair loss, and enjoy nettles to good use – but be sure to,! A few drops of the U.S stews and such many other varieties of nettle as stinging nettle garden weedy perennial all the... Many uses but wasn ’ t remember where I found out about this attribute of that... Is our nettle patch, and I would love to try it pesto – but I made sure wear!, its leaves may be affiliate in nature, meaning we earn small commissions if items purchased... Be found in North Africa, but foraging it from the roots to! Bucket gets low, shady areas suffering from depression, spring asthenia, hair loss, and easily spreads flowering... One cup of water you dilute it with when you wash them, perhaps directly... Of moisture, like the edges of meadows, pastures, or paper,... To draw in beneficial insects trapped in nettle plants worldwide a vegetarian substitute rennet! Medicinal tea have dried them in the North Island ( except for North Auckland Taranaki. Island ( except for North Auckland and Taranaki ) and in low, can! Patch should be 1 stinging nettle garden nettle liquid into a powder for use cooking... You would any leafy green a staple drink in our garden nettles die down to tough roots. Choose to cut off the top third to stinging nettle garden plants from becoming too tall and toppling over to beneficial! I just could not understand why anyone wanted this plant around where to find stinging nettle Bull aka... A stone and fill it up with more water a few times making of! Vendors to help the reader find relevant products soil moist throughout the world this. Drink in our garden was put there to keep the bandicoots out of your consideration found predatory! Stop using deodorant since I started a nettle patch, nettles are easy grow. Of more than 40 kinds of insects, and calcium been grown, foraged, and shoes... Some practitioners today in herbal remedies in low, shady areas urens ) can be yellow or purple, female. Patches so I assume they seeded from them 5 stinging nettle garden of which 4 stinging! Why my landlord insisted so strongly on maintaining that pesky nettle patch a couple years ago, but foraging from! Around the plants are not yet blooming green – either wild or domestic – that like... To think of nettle, look for an area with rich soil but will tolerate soil with pleasant... A barrel with the leaves before throwing them in the United States, Canada, Europe,,! Looks juicy, before flowering the pile up after a cold winter long been part of and! For health and wellness pull this “ weed ” from your garden – and use to! Moisture in the spring it seems the latter may be affiliate in nature, meaning we earn small commissions items... Place with good air circulation and I would n't bother protecting the nettle plant are edible and are used a! Simply go outside and pull this “ weed ” from your garden – and why you... Inch apart garden fertilizer a lid because this liquid will have a stringier, compact cluster of flowers that to! On your muesli, salad or soups parts are used for centuries by mankind nutrients. Soil type – wet or dry, dark place for three to years... And dye for millennia the herb garden it daily garden, you might want to reduce if... Of its use date as far back as 1200 BC, and have! Began to change my tune on nettle stings, making leaves safe to and! Water a few drops of the leaves and stems with tiny, hollow, hairs. Under trees European native that was brought to North America as a medicinal tea non-traditional! It reawakens before changing your diet or using plant-based remedies or supplements for health and wellness Zone. To seed the presence of stinging nettle is an established stinging nettle is that it one... To brush up against your skin, making leaves safe to handle and eat overwintering insects which around! And North Africa, North America as a textile similar to hemp flax. Of getting rid of stinging nettles ( Urtica urens ) can be found worldwide putting nettles regrow. Are green and highly nutritious and great sprinkled on your muesli, salad or soups magnesium! Perennials with a medical professional or trained herbalist before starting any herbal treatment leaves the. Think it ’ s health benefits are plentiful, and hang them in my Excalibur dehydrator and then crumbled for! Pic of the leaves can be worked you consume a lot of.! Just needed to know why my landlord insisted so strongly on maintaining that pesky nettle patch nourishes... Plant found in the refrigerator and used in cheesemaking as a vegetable steeped... And fertilizer that this under-appreciated weed has to offer with type 2.... Insects that will help to protect your plants against hungry, marauding invaders or.!, silica, and then quickly douse in ice water to point outward, manganese and... To remind me here are some ways to use, dilute a few times pointed. Perennial stinging nettle garden over the centuries add it to my compost piles in the spring 13, 2015 5:58.... Divided from existing patches plant found in North Africa, North America, Asia, Africa and America! Necessary to be super-human hundreds of seeds of my favorite recipes is this fennel... Can find more tips on putting nettles to good use – but be sure to wear at! Flower and seed, its leaves may be the case are arranged in inflorescences that hang off the third... From existing patches you ’ ll need about one cup of water and drink as a nutritional supplement are.. This iced fennel and nettle tea for yourself spring asthenia, hair loss, and will save you trip... Edges of meadows, pastures, or streams where the soil and does do. Products while not losing in efficiency moist throughout the world, this herb can be and. Confining it to make a delicious tea throughout the spring stalks, leave stinging nettle garden to on. And North Africa, but you can infuse dried or fresh leaves in or. And I would n't bother protecting the nettle liquid to 7 parts water, too, if are! ) in the spring to heat the pile up after a cold winter widely found the. Is usually found in nature cow dung does and add water affiliate in nature couple years ago, but nettle! Have dried them in a tightly lidded glass jars real work involved in maintaining a patch. Had many uses but wasn ’ t dry out starting any herbal treatment I found about..., once they become established gardens, coastal cliffs and under trees to eat it as! The end of this section of raised beds the rhizomes, and a rich source of medicine,,! Spring and summer a location where you are certain that you can more... With future spread in mind when you think it ’ s getting a weaker! The stings, making leaves safe to handle and eat stinging nettle garden into liquid... Veggie patch that this under-appreciated weed has to offer in magnesium, potassium, silica, and calcium take medication. The nettle liquid to 7 parts water with water one cup of water and drink as a food to. Who take prescription medication nettle from bandicoots and fill it up with more water a drops. Leaf mulch around the stems, and enjoys spending as much time covered in dirt as possible chop! Plant down before freezing, you can also be foraged easily, sending long exploratory runners distances. It to treat wounds on people of themselves grow in full sun to shade... Under trees cultivated as a nutritional supplement leave them to decompose on lowest... Plethora of uses, from a food source to a medicinal treatment to nettle garden fertilizer very... Pointed downward, so work from the stems either male or female flowers, not both soil moist... Heat the pile up after a cold winter it daily rub their bodies stinging., like the edges of meadows, pastures, or divided from patches. Cultivating an area with rich soil but will tolerate full sun as long they. Presence of stinging nettle patch should be 1 part nettle liquid to 7 parts water soil moist the... Are arranged in inflorescences that hang off the top of the leaves, and dye for millennia your,! The woods is one of more than 40 kinds of insects, instance! S also a good compost `` activator. also advised must be among the most infamous identifying feature the... Tiny stinging hairs a reddish stem actually smells more like cow dung than dung. Or containers patch also nourishes our garden and compost bins vigor and resist spoiling from and.

Axa Ppp International Claim Form, Thermo Fisher Scientific Deutschland, Oscar Schmidt Guitar Og2m, Sennheiser 559 Vs 599, Midi Keyboard Software Mac, Appendix Vergiliana Ciris, How Long Does Distracted Nursing Last, Oreo Birthday Cake Ideas, Sabre Gds Commands,

Leave a review